Alternative route announced during tunnel closure for a Hadley section of the Norwottuck Rail Trail.
We heard from many of you with concerns about bicycle and pedestrian safety during the month-long closure of the Norwottuck Rail Trail in Hadley, from the trail tunnel under Route 9 to Maple Street, while MassDOT completes a key portion of work on the Route 9 widening project.
We’re grateful to MassBike, Friends of Northampton Trails, and to constituents who advocated for clear, safe alternatives during the closure.
And we’re grateful to MassDOT for its responsiveness in working out a plan to ensure that bike commuters and pedestrians can still safely access this important artery during the closure.
Here are details of the alternative route MassDOT has set up during the closure of the Norwottuck Rail Trail tunnel under Route 9 in Hadley beginning on Monday, September 25:
- A temporary crosswalk has been installed to allow bicyclists and pedestrians to cross Route 9.
- Police detail will be stationed at the Route 9 crossing from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., 7 days per week until the tunnel is reopened.
- After crossing Route 9, bicyclists and pedestrians will be able to follow a designated path separated by a fence from the construction zone.
- The alternative route will reconnect with the Norwottuck Rail Trail just past the construction zone (across the street from just past the entrance to the Pulse Cafe.)
- Signage marking the detour will be installed by the end of Tuesday, September 26.