Massachusetts has over 150 state agencies and our office works with all of them.

Below is a sampling of some of the state agencies we work with, what they do, and how to contact them. Our team is also available to advocate for you with colleagues at state agencies, and while we cannot compel an agency to make a particular decision, we will work to ensure that your inquiry is understood and that you receive a timely and fair response.

Attorney General Maura Healey

What does the Attorney General do?
As the chief lawyer and law enforcement officer of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Attorney General:

  • Protects consumers (offers consumer complaint process);
  • Combats fraud and corruption;
  • Investigates and prosecutes crime;
  • Protects the environment, workers, and civil rights;
  • Is the rate payer advocate;
  • Provides student loan assistance; and
  • Represents the state in court actions.

Contact the Attorney General
Boston Office
1 Ashburton Place, 20th Floor, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 727-8400

Western Massachusetts Office
1441 Main Street, 12th Floor, Springfield, MA 01103
(413) 784-1240

TTY: (617) 727-4765



Department of Children and Families (DCF)

What does DCF do?
DCF works in partnership with families and communities to keep children safe from abuse and neglect. In most cases, DCF is able to provide supports and services to keep children safe with parents or family members. When necessary, DCF provides foster care or finds new permanent families for children through kinship, guardianship or adoption. DCF’s main functions and issues it handles are:

  • Child protective services
  • Child abuse investigations
  • Foster Care
  • Transitional age youth supports (ages 18 – 22)
  • Adolescent services
  • Adoption/guardianship services
  • Domestic violence services

Contact DCF
Child-at-Risk Hotline, open 24 hours to report child abuse and neglect: (800) 792-5200

Main Office
600 Washington St, 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 748-2000



Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR)

What does DCR do?
DCR manages state parks and oversees more than 450,000 acres of land throughout Massachusetts. DCR protects, promotes, and enhances the state’s natural, cultural, and recreational resources. DCR is comprised of agencies formerly known as DEM, MDC and Division of Water Supply Protection. Some issues and functions under the purview of DCR include:

Contact DCR
Main Office
251 Causeway Street, 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114
(617) 626-1250



Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)

What does DHCD do?
DHCD oversees funding and resources to help people in Massachusetts live affordably and safely. DHCD works on:

  • Housing issues
  • Public housing
  • Chapter 40B and Chapter 40R
  • Low income energy assistance and conservation programs
  • Housing and community development grants
  • Indian Affairs
  • Homeless housing

Contact DHCD
Main Office
100 Cambridge St, Suite 300, Boston, MA 02114
(617) 573-1100

TTY: (617) 573-1140


Department of Mental Health (DMH)

What does DMH do?
DMH assures and provides access to services and supports to meet the mental health needs of individuals of all ages. DMH’s purview includes:

  • Mental health services for children, adolescents & adults
  • Community services (Clubhouses, ACCS, Respite & PACT) for DMH consumers
  • Continuing care inpatient services
  • Forensic services & jail diversion

Contact DMH
Emergency/crisis line, available 24 Hours: (877) 382-1609

Main Office

25 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02114
(617) 626-8000
DMH Information and Resource Line Voicemail Box: (800) 221-0053



Western Massachusetts Area Office
1 Prince Street, Northampton, MA 01060
(413) 587-6200

TTY: (413) 586-6592

DMH Western Massachusetts Area Site Office Contacts

Department of Revenue (DOR)

What does DOR do?
DOR manages:

  • Tax issues
  • Child support issues
  • Local assistance (Cherry sheets)
  • Sales tax

Contact DOR
Main Office
100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114

Tax Department: (617) 887-6367 or (800) 392-6089

Child Support Enforcement Division: (617) 660-1234 or (800) 332-2733

Division of Local Services: (617) 626-2300


Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA)

What does DTA do?
DTA assists and empowers low-income individuals and families to meet their basic needs, improve their quality of life, and achieve long term economic self-sufficiency. DTA serves one in nine residents of the Commonwealth with workforce training opportunities and the following direct economic and food assistance:

  • Economic Assistance
    • Transitional Assistance to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)
    • Emergency Aid to the Elderly, Disabled, and Children (EAEDC)
  • Food Assistance
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Contact DTA
(877) 382-2363

Greenfield Transitional Assistance Office
143 Munson Street, Unit #3, Greenfield, MA 01301
(413) 772-3400

Holyoke Transitional Assistance Office
72-100 Front Street, Holyoke, MA 01040
(413) 552-5400


Department of Veterans’ Services (DVS)

DVS advocates on behalf of all the Commonwealth’s veterans and provides them with support services. It also directs an emergency financial assistance program for veterans and their dependents who are in need. DVS’ range of work includes:

Contact DVS
600 Washington Street, 7th Floor, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 210-5480


Division of Professional Licensure (DPL)

What does DPL do?
The Division of Professional Licensure licenses and regulates individuals and businesses in some 167 trades and professions. Some of DPL’s main issues and functions are:

  • Overseeing 39 boards of registration
  • Licensing professionals and tradespeople
    • Check the license of a professional here
    • Renew your professional license with ePLACE
    • File a complaint against a DPL licensee
  • Investigating complaints against professionals and tradespeople

Contact DPL
Main Office
1000 Washington Street, Suite 710, Boston, MA 02118
(617) 727-3074

TTY: (617) 727-2099

Springfield Office
436 Dwight Street, Springfield, MA 01103


Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)

What does MCAD do?
MCAD is the primary agency in Massachusetts for civil rights law enforcement, outreach, and training and works to eradicate discrimination in the Commonwealth. They investigate and prosecute discrimination complaints. 

Contact MCAD
Main Office

1 Ashburton Place, Suite 601, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 994-6000

Español, 中文, Kreyòl Ayisyen, русский, Português, etc.: (617) 994-6071

TTY: (617) 994-6196



Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT)

What does MassDOT do?
MassDOT provides transportation infrastructure that is safe, reliable, robust and resilient. They work to connect people across the Commonwealth through transportation. MassDOT manages and maintains:

  • General transportation issues
  • Transportation bond bills and legislation
  • EZDriveMA
  • State highways
  • Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
  • The Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV)
  • Aeronautics (regional airports)
  • Rail and transit
  • Bike and pedestrian trails

Contact MassDOT
Main Office
10 Park Plaza, Suite 4160, Boston, MA 02116
(857) 368-4636 or (877) 623-6846

TTY: (857) 368-0655


Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulations (OCABR)

What does OCABR do?
The Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation protects consumers through advocacy and education, and regulates Massachusetts businesses to ensure fair competitive practices. OCABR’s range of work includes:

Contact OCABR
Main Office
501 Boylston Street, Suite 5100, Boston, MA 02116
(617) 973-8787 or (888) 283-3757

Home Improvement Contractor Programs
1000 Washington Street, Suite 710, Boston, MA 02118


Office for Refugees and Immigrants (ORI)

What does ORI do?
ORI’s mission is to promote the full participation of refugees and immigrants as self-sufficient individuals and families in the economic, social, and civic life of Massachusetts. ORI supports services that meet the needs of refugees and immigrants through a network of service providers in Massachusetts. ORI:

  • Administers federally funded refugee resettlement program
  • Administers state funded Citizenship for New Americans Program (CNAP)
  • Administers state and federally funded Refugee Employment Services (RES)

Contact ORI
Main Office

600 Washington Street, 4th floor, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 727-7888

TTY: (617) 727-8147


Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV)

What does the RMV do?
The RMV oversees:

  • Motor vehicle licenses
  • ID services
  • Vehicle titles and registrations
  • Car inspections
  • Disability plates and placards
  • Merit Rating Board

Visit the RMV’s Online Service Center for over 40 transactions that can be completed online and skip the trip to the RMV. If you need to visit the RMV, prepare by visiting the Online Service Center first.

Contact the RMV
Acting Registrar of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 55889, Boston, MA 02205
For suspension, revocation, or citation questions: (857) 368-8200


Chicopee RMV Service Center
1011 Chicopee Street, Chicopee, MA 01013


Easthampton RMV Service Center
116 Pleasant St., Easthampton, MA 01027


Greenfield RMV Service Center
18 Miner Street, Greenfield, MA 01301


Start typing and press Enter to search