An informed and engaged electorate.
Transparency and accountability within public institutions.
Ridding our elections of corrosive big money and reigning in corporations.
Preventing public officials from engaging in sexual harassment or assault.
These are some of the necessary building blocks of a healthy democracy. I have filed bills to make our government, both in Washington, D.C. and right here in Massachusetts, more transparent and to promote greater political participation. I also practice these important values by explaining my votes and budget amendments on social media, and by ensuring that the Committees I Chair operate in an open and transparent fashion. Our democracy works best when everyone can participate.
Please take a moment to look at the democracy & transparency bills I have filed and co-sponsored this session, which appear in the tabs below.
- S.393: An Act limiting political spending by foreign-influenced corporations
- S.394: An Act relative to political contributions
- S.871: An Act prohibiting the use of public funds to pay awards, fines, or settlements in cases where public officials are found responsible or guilty of sexual harassment or assault
- S.1054: An Act identifying corporate irresponsibility
- S.1819: An Act Providing federal and state budget information to residents of the Commonwealth
- S.12: Proposal for a legislative amendment to the Constitution relative to voting rights
- S.383: An Act restoring financial transparency in presidential elections
- S.389: An Act ensuring municipal participation of the widest eligible range
- S.396: An Act relative to election day registration
- S.404: An Act promoting political participation
- S.406: An Act promoting access to democracy in Massachusetts
- S.408: An Act supporting parents running for public office
- S.414: An Act to use of ranked choice voting in elections
- S.418: An Act to limit political spending by foreign-influenced corporations
- S.419: An Act to promote good democracy in primary elections
- S.420: An Act providing a local option for ranked choice voting in municipal elections
- S.953: An Act enhancing data transparency within the prosecutorial system
- H.1532: An Act relative to the repeal or reform of certain unenforceable or unconstitutional archaic laws
- S.2163: Resolutions for a United States Constitutional Amendment and a limited amendment proposing convention
- H.2745: An Act identifying corporate irresponsibility
- H.3196: An Act providing for timely reimbursement of cities and towns for veterans’ benefits